Below are some quick tips that you can use to keep your CoinCorner account as secure as possible.
Secure login details are the first step towards keeping your CoinCorner account safe. You should always keep your login details to yourself and not share them with anyone else.
Use a complex password that isn't shared or similar to any passwords used on any other websites. It's a good idea to update your password regularly (every 2 or 3 months), and use a completely new password each time.
A CoinCorner employee will never ask for your password, so keep this to yourself and don't disclose it to anyone.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security to your CoinCorner account, and we recommend that all users enable it. We use Google Authenticator to secure accounts with 2FA, and you can find a guide in setting this up here.
After enabling 2FA on your account all logins will require your email address and password as well as a random code from your phone that is generated on the Google Authenticator app.
You can enable notification emails in your account settings that will be sent out to you when any of the following are done on your account:
- A successful login
- An unsuccessful login attempt
- A successful buy
- A successful sell
- A BTC withdrawal (both on-chain and via Lightning)
These emails can be turned off at any point in your settings (the withdrawal emails are in the 'Security' tab and the rest are in the 'General' tab), but we'd recommend having them enabled. The login success email that we send out contains a link you can click to freeze the account if the login was unauthorised, so this can be a vital notification to receive for the security of your account.
What do I do if my account is compromised?
Below are some suggested actions for you to take if you believe that your account has been accessed with your authorisation:
- Change your password. Your password should be complex and unique, and shouldn't be shared or similar to any other passwords for other accounts.
- Secure your emails. It is often through having access to your emails that hackers can gain access to your other accounts, so change the password with your email provider and consider enabling 2FA if available.
- Enable 2FA. We recommend all users enable 2FA on their CoinCorner account, it adds a vital extra layer of security.
If you have login notification emails enabled then you will be able to temporarily freeze your account if you receive a Login Success email for a login that wasn't you. This will prevent any activity from being taken on the account and will require you to email us to unlock it.
Have any questions? Get in touch!